Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Bumpy Start

Today was the first day of school and it's already gotten off to a bumpy start. It actually started yesterday with Oldest wanting to watch his favorite shows "Super Why" and "Sid the Science Kid" before school. I have reassured him that Iwill record them. Still, we've had lots of autism because it's a change in routine and a change in schools (they rebuilt the school, so it's the same school, but it is totally different).

This morning, things were fine (I even got a picture of all of them on the first day of school, which I don't think I have ever done!). Middle boy, Youngest and I went down to Middle boy's bus stop. He got on the bus fine (with the twins next door, all looking out for each other because there are not many kids at this bus stop this year). Youngest and I went down to our house to put Oldest on his bus at our house.

So, the three of us waited and waited and so forth. The bus did not come at the time that it was expected. I called my husband and asked, "at what time should I call transportation?" He suggested I wait ten minutes past the time.

During this time, Oldest, Youngest and I waited, took lots of pictures of each other and waited...by this time, Oldest's autism is kicking in and I am getting pacing and him saying "the bus needs to come, I need to go to my new school, then the bus will come and take me home" and "I need to go to school", over and over and over...gotta love autism anxiety).

So, I waited the ten minutes and then I called transportation.....the nice assistant (as opposed to the mean one who I tried to work out a compromise with last week) said, "oh, I'll call her"....so, she does and she gets no response.....so, she tries again....no response.....she tells me, "I don't know why she isn't at her bus, she doesn't have any wheelchair kids (she does)".....I told her 'well, we'll be here" and hang up.

So, at 9 a.m. when Oldest is supposed to be at school (the tardy bell has rung) and the little bus arrives at my house.......and she still has to pick up two more kids AFTER Oldest (obviously, this is not going well)...this is also 15 minutes after Youngest is supposed to be at his school. The poor bus driver is telling me she has had nightmares about this route for a week. She didn't think it would work. She was assured by the head of transportation that it would work (okay, that was minus children AND getting a wheelchair on and off a bus).

So, I then take Youngest to his school.....we show up and I take him to the potty (see note below) and his teacher says to me, "we were worried about you!" (I am worried about me and Youngest, too).

Youngest did a great job at school. He loves his new school. He told me "I didn't make paper, I made play doh!" (his school is called Papermaker Preschool). He sat nicely, listened to the teacher and they were thrilled with him. Whoot.


NOTE: Youngest started last Thursday peeing in the potty...I am a little more optimistic this time (this is about our third start to potty training and all have failed....). He really loves his new school's playground and I told him he can't stay there unless he goes pee in the potty. So far, so good. He is required to pee in the potty for this preschool...I guess better late than never...it's a special education preschool, so they are used to pull-ups and such, but he really needs to be peeing in the potty at 4 1/2.

No comments: