Thursday, September 17, 2009

Weird

I was sitting tonight at 2nd grade cirriculum night. This is my second 2nd grade cirriculum night. That sounds so funny. I was sitting there, listening to the same silly jokes that the principal gives every year, every grade level, thinking, I have a sense of peace in my world.

Now, anyone who has been around me the last 11 days (yes, it has been 11 days since school started!), knows that I am a stressed out puppy. Stressed out, because today was the FIRST day Oldest made it to school on time (and with 3 minutes to spare---WHOOT!). He also got off of the bus at the proper time. What are the odds? Granted, it has been a LONG 11 days....as anyone who is around me will attest. The worst part of starting a new school year? "Training" new special ed teachers, bus drivers and the like. Yes, it is Oldest centric....so much that I delay anything major for 1 1/2 months for a new school year and 3 for a new school. Trust me, I have had experience.

But tonight, I felt at peace. I don't really know why. I found out that Oldest is one of the few special needs kids who do homework regularly. I find this weird. I find it weird because Oldest is behind academically, why wouldn't a parent push their kid to do academics that they are behind in.

I totally understand, a lot of parents are dealing with a lot of things when it comes to autism. I go there 100 %. But, wouldn't you push your kids to do all that they can do?

For once this so far this year, I just feel at peace. I feel confident that we have a chance to have an amazing year. I think that Oldest is going to do great things, socially (we have a long way to go, so we can only go up!) and academically. I feel like Middle boy is going to shine this year. He's going to make great gains. And, youngest, well, he'll start pooping in the toilet (major), he'll make great gains socially, and best of all, academically. He's already asking, "Momma, what letter does my name start with? Does my name have a short sound? Does my name have a 'ck' sound?". WHOOT!

Maybe, we do have a chance this year :)

No comments: