Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Stand for Something or You Stand for Nothing....

This is just a rhetorical question. It came to me as a result of my friend's post. She has a boy with autism (in fact, it is oldest's BFF)....she did a post that she doesn't feel the 'need' to put a 'tag' on her facebook page for something like "Autism Speaks" or do an autism walk a thon (she has been in the Peace Corps, writes grants for NPOs, works for social causes, but not for autism). In fact, it sparked some controversy.....okay, well for me. My feeling (and how I deal with oldest's autism) is that I feel a responsibility as a parent with a child with autism (or insert any disability or even just as a parent, because if I wasn't doing work to help children/families on the spectrum, I'd be working for the Children's Defense Fund or on behalf of children in Africa), I have a responsibilty to leave this world a little bit better for my children or other children than I found it. Now, you can insert any cause that you'd like.

I am a big believer in the theory or saying that "to much is given, MUCH is expected". I believe it is a Biblical phrase (perhaps if anyone out there knows, that would be helpful....but alas, according to my husband, no one reads my blog, so maybe I am talking to a wall, LOL).

Barack Obama ran on that issue when it comes to healthcare. I remember pondering it and thinking about it....For everything I have been given in life (and it is a lot), shouldn't I be expected to give back? I think so. In my example, I am expected to help the newly diagnosed families, create a system for better healthcare, better education...all while raising my boys. I am totally cool with that awesome responsibility....

As we go to Martin Luther King Junior's birthday....I leave you with this thought....
"I have a dream, that one day my children will not be judged on the color of their skin, but on the strength of their character". To me, that is the epitomy of what I want for all of my boys. I want my boys (especially my oldest with autism) to be judged on who they are as humans...the good things that they do, works that they represent, NOT by what they look like (or in oldest's case, by his autism). We, as a society, can do that. I hope.....

I just hope that President-Elect Obama can continue to inspire people to do one thing. It doesn't have to be a big thing, little things count! We need a leader who will encourage us to help our neighbors and create a better sense of community.

No comments: