Thursday, February 5, 2009

Here We Go Again!

Next week, youngest will start Speech Therapy again. No, he doesn't have autism, he just has a little artic problem (ie. he has a Bronx or Jersey accent and is a little difficult to understand). I had non-IEP meetings a couple of weeks ago to discuss his speech and to discuss a possible sensory problem.

The end result is that they (the team) would recommend a little private speech therapy and the results of a sensory profile is that he has some sensory issues....nothing that prevents him from learning, but enough that they are aware of it.

For me, it's a 'here we go again' moment, even though most likely autism is not involved. More than one of the professionals has not noticed any sign of autism. However, I am reminded of all of the therapies, testing etc that we went through with oldest. In many ways, it makes me more determined to help families who are going through the process for the first time. That is why I try to help them and do whatever I can legislation-wise.

So, wish me luck, I have dealt with the pediatrician (to get a referral), the speech therapist, teachers and OT. Lord help me if I have to deal with the insurance company.

No comments: